A group of consumer advocates called World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H) has released a list of â€œ10 Worst Toysâ€ that they are asking consumers to watch out for this holiday season. To see the groupâ€™s complete report, please visit this Web site.
This list apparently represents toys with the potential to cause children serious injuries or even death. This yearâ€™s list includes popular brand names such as â€œSpider-Man,â€ â€œWinnie the Poohâ€ and â€œDigger the Dog.â€ Here is a brief list and description of these defective and dangerous products:
1. Sportsman Shotgun: This realistic weapon is sold online as a toy for children 3 years and older. It uses rubber bullets, but it is certainly not a toy and should not be used by children. This shotgun has the potential to cause serious facial and eye injuries.
2. Go Go Minis Pullback Vehicle: These miniature fire trucks, garbage trucks and school buses present serious choking hazards for young children.
3. Inflatable Giga Ball: Children are encouraged to crawl inside this inflatable ball which can then be spun, bounced and tumbled. Obviously this toy has potential for serious fall injuries.
4. Animal Alley Purse Pet: This soft colorful pony has soft fiber hairs that are not properly attached, which could cause ingestion or aspiration injuries.
5. Spider-Man Adjustable Skates: Package warning encourages a range of protective gear, but includes only knee and elbow pads.
6. Pucci Puppies — My Own Puppy House Golden Retriever: Small accessories such as little toy bones, toy cookies and miniature dog toys present a serious choking hazard for young children.
7. Walkâ€™N Sounds Digger Dog: The toy industry has a voluntary standard requiring strings on playpen or crib toys to be less than 12 inches in length. This one has a cord measuring up to 26 inches. Certainly hazardous to infants.
8. Meadow Mystery Play-A-Sound Book with Cuddly Pooh: Once removed, Poohâ€™s cloth mask poses a choking hazard to babies.
9. Extreme Spiral Copters: Includes a projectile and an elastic band and works like a slingshot. This toy has the potential for facial and eye injuries.
10. Ninja Battle Gear â€“ Michelangelo: Has â€œweaponsâ€ such as nunchaku that could cause injuries
Please avoid these toys this holiday season. It appears that some of these toys are inherently defective while others do not have the appropriate warnings on the packaging. If your child has suffered a serious injury or worse as a result of a dangerous or defective toy, Iâ€™d like to hear about it.