A Costa Mesa family lost their pet in a fire on December 27, 2008, which officials say was caused by a space heater. According to a CBS News report, the fire broke out in the rear unit of a residential duplex on the 200 block of Magnolia Street. The residents and their guests were uninjured and were able to make it out of the house, but the familyâ€™s dog was killed in the fire.
Costa Mesa fire officials say the space heater certainly caused the blaze, but they are trying to look at whether the heater had been placed too close to any flammable materials or whether the space heater was defective or malfunctioning. Investigators are estimating the damage from the fire at $450,000, which includes a vehicle in the garage.