The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall in cooperation with Columbia Sportswear for several models of heated jackets that have been shown to cause burn injuries.  So far, several people in Europe and Canada have suffered injuries from these jackets, although no injuries have been reported so far in the United States.  However, at least 9,600 units have been sold in the U. S., prompting the manufacturer to ask consumers to return the jackets to the company for a full refund of their purchase price.

Jacket Description

The items under recall are seven models of heated jackets distributed by Columbia Sportswear and manufactured in China.  There have been reports of the jackets overheating at the inner wrist cuff and burning those who wear them.  These jackets are heated through a battery pack located in the lining of the coat.  Consumers who have these items are asked to disconnect the batteries immediately and return the product to the manufacturer.


The jackets in question are:

  • Circuit Breaker™ II Jacket for men, Style Number SM7051
  • Electro AMP™ Jacket  for men, Style Number SM7061
  • Electro™ Interchange Jacket for men, Style Number SM7886
  • Electric Big Game™ Interchange Jacket for men, Style Number HM7198
  • Circuit Breaker™ II Jacket  for women, Style Number SL7022
  • Electro AMP™ Jacket for women, Style Number SL7021
  • Electro™ Interchange Jacket for women, Style Number SL7885

The style number is located on a label sewn into the side lining of the jacket.

 What Should I Do If I Have One Of These Jackets?

 If you have a proof of purchase, the company will refund your full purchase price.  If you do not have a proof of purchase, you can still return the jacket for a partial refund.  Information on refund amounts and instructions for returning the garment can be found on the company’s website.  Consumers can also call the company’s toll-free number at 1-866-201-9073 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on weekdays.  Consumers who have questions about this or any other recall can also visit the CPSC’s website.

What Should I Do If I Have Been Injured By A Defective Product?

 Defective products are released on unsuspecting consumers every day, and millions of people are injured each year by using them.  It is very important to protect your rights if you have suffered an injury due to a dangerous product, not only to collect damages for yourself but to alert others of your experience.  A personal injury attorney will help you file the necessary lawsuit to collect damages including your medical costs, sums for pain or mental anguish, loss of wages due to missed work time, and even costs for your family’s inconvenience and suffering.  However, if you fail to file a claim within the statutory time period you can lose your right to collect damages.  It is important that you contact a personal injury attorney immediately about your case.